Saturday, February 28, 2015

77069 Custom Order your Relationship

Freebirds World Burrito

Image courtesy of Freebirds.com
Counter-serve, build-your-own-burrito chain with a natural-foods focus, also serving tacos & salads. - Google

Who goes to a build-your-own-burrito chain only to put the exact same ingredients on as everyone else? Kind of the defeats the purpose, right?

Don't we do this with our marriages sometimes? 

We see other couples, and we compare. Have you ever thought, "Why can't my husband/wife be more like _________?"  

I once heard a friend complaining about her husband washing her clothes with the towels. She was so angry about it. All I could think was, "Wow! Your husband does the laundry? Good for him!"

Another example: My little daughter asks me to give her cute hair styles every day. I for one, am not that great at doing hair. One particular morning, I remember sitting on the couch examining the pathetic attempt of a braid in her hair and just feeling so bad for her. If only she had a mom that was good at hair. The funny thing? At that very moment, she was playing the piano, a skill I had taught her myself.  Then my epiphany came. 

It was at the moment I realized that each and every one of us are custom made. Love your skills, your talents, and your relationships that YOU have. 


Think of your relationship as a custom order. Don't compare. Do what works for you as a couple and be happy about it!

"You know, there has to be a division of labor to some extent in a marriage, because you can't do it all by yourself. But it has occurred to me- well, it's evident- that the division of labor for young couples today is different than it was when I was first married. I watch the young couples in my family-my children and their spouses-and they way they do things in their family. It's different than we did. They still get the job done. They work together in a different way. And in many ways it's better than the way we did it. The point is, though, that it's individual. Each couple has to work out how they will do things." -Cheryl C. Lant

No comments:

Post a Comment